Who is Olivier
Lucien Olivier (1838-1883) was a Russian chef who owned The Hermitage restaurant in Moscow. He was born in Moscow. The recipe of Olivier salad or Russian potato salad was a secret until he died.
There are many variations of Olivier salad around the country and no one cook exactly as it was in 1860. He became very famous because of his luxury mix.
The real Olivier salad from 1860
Originally Sir Olivier made his salad of veal tongue, lettuce, caviar (very expensive to make real salad nowadays), smoked duck, crayfish tails, crab meat, capers, and many more.
His exclusive dressing was based on mayonnaise. But he cooked it with French wine vinegar, olive oil, and mustard.
Very hard to make the original one, so we will teach you how to cook Soviet-style Olivier salad. Russians always make it for the New Year and Christmas celebration.
Russian potato salad Olivier
Hard to find all ingredients in the Philippines but in some groceries, you can buy not sweet pickles and you can choose to add ham or chicken.
- 3 potatoes (boil with the skin)
- 3 medium carrots (boil as well)
- 1 package of frozen peas
- 4 hardboiled eggs
- 6 small kosher dill pickles
- 1 package of olive oil mayonnaise
- 1 grilled chicken
- fresh or dried dill
- Boil potatoes with skin with carrots. Check if it’s ready using a knife or fork.
- Defrost green peas and cook it.
- Boil eggs. And wait until it will be cold.
- Peel the skin of potatoes, carrots, and eggs.
- When all products will be not hot, cut it all by squares. Potatoes, carrots, eggs. And put it all to the big pot.
- Add to the pot green peas when it will not be hot.
- Cut pickles and add to the pot.
- Add chicken to the pot as well. We also cut it a square shape. Use breast and legs.
- Put to the pot salt and mix it. Try salad to adjust the amount of salt.
- Add mayonnaise and mix it again.
- Leave this salad in the fridge for a minimum of one hour or better overnight.
- Dried dill add to the plate on the top of the salad to make it look even better.
- Enjoy and share with family and friends.